Friday, December 19, 2008

Our Prayer, When We Lose Our Way

Mood: exhilarated
Loving: that school is done!
Hating:
that I actually got homework to do over the break...
Can't Get You Outta My Head: "The Prayer" by Celine Dion http://www.lyrics007.com/Celine%20Dion%20Lyrics/The%20Prayer%20Lyrics.html
-------------
Interestingly enough, the Chinese symbol for crisis is a combination of the two symbols for danger and opportunity. With every situation there is something to gain, and something to lose. In many cases, there is more to lose than there is to gain at stake. Keeping this in mind, it can still be quite difficult to diffuse situations when we are faced with strife.

On the walk of life, there are the inevitable people who we will butt heads with. Depending on the individual, we can revert to a more primitive side when this happens. After receiving a bad mark on a test, I came home cussing like a sailor, ranting that "this mockery of a teacher" would be the end of my 92 average, and therefore would be a sole reason for the loss of a potential scholarship. I pointed fingers, I cried, I ranted, I swore, I threw my work around the room, yet all this had no impact on anyone other than myself. I was working myself up for no reason, and achieving little results.

I felt like I was losing my sanity and got so enraged that someone else had the impact to do this to me. Yet the only one responsible was myself. I have the capable to determine how I respond to situations. Rather than use sweeping generalizations, often we as humansdo, we need to pause a moment and assess the situation. Often, it is easy to shift the guilt from ourselves to another, yet this method of scapegoating ultimately negates learning from the experience. While anger can be a useless and pathetic emotion, in dealing with it in a proper fashion, we can better ourselves as people.


No comments: